Delhi Greens has been working to promote the adoption and proper implementation of Environmental Education in Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) since 2013. Despite an order from the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India asking Higher Education Institutions to implement a compulsory and qualifying Environmental Studies paper, this has not been adopted by all Higher Education Institutions so far.
Delhi Greens has been working to urge all HEIs to ensure that their students are sensitized about environmental issues through adequate implementation of this Course.
Delhi Greens has also been working to promote the adoption of a Three Year Undergraduate Course on Environmental Studies which is presently wanting in the Higher Education scenario in India. Delhi has over 5 universities offering a Master’s programme in Environment, but not a single college offering an undergraduate degree as of 2018-19 academic year.
Objectives of the Campaign:
To ensure the proper implementation of the Hon’ble Supreme Court’s order of providing decent and adequate Environmental Education to all students pursuing an undergraduate degree
To encourage colleges and universities to adopt the teaching of full time Bachelor and Master level courses in Environmental Studies/ Sciences.
- 18 July 2019: Delhi Greens Writes to all DU Colleges for Better Implementation of EE
- .10 April 2019: Campaign Initiated to Promote Proper Implementation of Environment Education in DU
Delhi Greens has initiated a sustained campaign to ensure proper implementation of Environment Education in different colleges of the University of Delhi (DU). The Campaign was initiated after learning from media sources that teachers who have not studied Environment themselves are being made to teach the subject in DU.
+ Click here to Download Copy of Letter sent to all Colleges of University of Delhi (02 May 2019)
+ Click here to Download Copy of Updated Letter (updated after UGC Notification of 14.05.2019) sent to all colleges of University of Delhi (21 May 2019)
Attachments mentioned in the letter:
- Click here to Download UGC letter dated 14.05.2019 calling for strict implementation of EE by all colleges of India and ensuring eligible teachers are teaching the subject.
- Click here to Download ad hoc panel released by the University of Delhi of teachers who are eligible to teach Environmental Studies in DU colleges.
- Click here to Download UGC letter dated 19.06.2017 calling for strict implementation of EE.
- Click here to Download UGC letter dated 07.08.2014 stating that only “teachers who fulfill the qualifications laid down by the UGC” should teach Environmental Studies.
- Click here to Download letter dated 24.07.2014 sent from DU to all its Colleges communicated the decision that Environmental Studies has to be taught to all undergraduate students.